Job Profile: Citizen Leader Lab, Business Development Specialist (Durban, Johannesburg)
Closing Date: 15 May 2023
Number of positions: 2
Locations: Durban, Johannesburg
Type of position: Part-time, 1-year contract. A minimum of 16 hours/week will be required, the maximum hours are negotiable.
Citizen Leader Lab NPC is a non-profit organisation that develops conscious leadership to build social cohesion, uplift communities, and work towards achieving a just society. The organisation’s focus is mobilising active citizenship to drive positive change in education, primarily through its flagship programme, Partners for Possibility (PfP). The Business Development (BD) Specialist role is critical to the success of the organization.
Purpose of the Role:
The BD Specialist’s chief responsibility is fundraising, sales and business leader recruitment. The BD Specialist is expected to contribute to the annual fundraising target for the organisation through short and medium-term sales for current programmes and general fundraising for organisational growth and sustainability. The BD Specialist will work with the BD Lead and the other BD team members to achieve the organisation’s annual funding targets through engagements with National and Regional Funders. The BD Specialist will also support the Regional Manager to support the successful launch of circles in this area by acquiring funding and supporting business leader recruitment.
The main responsibilities are to:
- Contribute to the BD team’s annual funding targets through raising programmatic funding for PfP and other Citizen Leader Lab programmes, and through soliciting general donations to support the organisation’s development and growth.
- Support the Regional Manager to implement the region’s launch plan by acquiring the required funding and recruiting suitable business leaders.
- Develop a client list of funders and manage the client relationships to ensure a long-term, mutually beneficial partnership between Citizen Leader Lab and the funders
- Keep abreast of key developments within the sector so that funder conversations remain relevant
- Attend relevant networking events and contribute to awareness of Citizen Leader Lab and our programmes, including Partners for Possibility
- Ensure the organisation’s CRM system (Dynamics 365) is up-to-date with your fundraising and business leader recruitment activities
- Proven skills and demonstration of results in sales, fundraising and negotiation
- Research and analytical skills to be able to identify and land prospective funders
- Passionate about the work and alignment with the vision, purpose and mission of the organisation,
recognizing that funds raised will benefit the impacted communities
- High level of integrity, commitment, and perseverance
- Superior communication abilities including written and oral presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to relate to, build relationship with, and collaborate with
donors, volunteers, colleagues, board members and external stakeholders
- Networking and experience with high-profile networks
- Good planning skills with the ability to identify and execute priorities actions to be successful
- Self-motivated and resourceful; a self-starter; innovative and able to work with considerable
independence within the context of a team environment and a network of relationships; able to
work effectively remotely or virtually
- Good teamwork skills to contribute towards the overall success of the BD team
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity, highly adaptable
- Experience working with sensitive information and ability to maintain strict confidentiality and
- Resourceful and flexible; a quick thinker with the ability to make sound decisions under pressure
- Ability to deal with ambiguity, complexity and working in situations where there are no clear-cut
- Ability to work in a virtual environment, understanding how important it is to give feedback to your
colleagues in other parts of the country when you don’t see them regularly
- Digital skills; appreciation of technology in development and fundraising
Qualifications and experience:
- A qualification in Sales/Marketing/Management will be an advantage
- Demonstrable experience in mobilizing funding from corporates, major donors and international
funders would be an advantage
- Fluent in English, ability to speak additional languages would be a benefit
Reporting Line: Business Development Lead
To apply, please send your applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Application:
Business Development Specialist
The application must include:
• Your CV
• A cover letter explaining your motivation and your relevant experience
Applications close at 12h00 on 15 May 2023.